Growing manufacturer located in the greater Kalamazoo, Michigan area is looking for a Controller to join their team
This position will be responsible for adherence to financial policy and controls, improving internal business processes to support the company’s production system model, and will be a key staff member of the plant leadership team to provide financial analyses and recommendations to assist in achieving strategic & financial objectives; moreover providing “proactive” analysis & reporting departmental key metrics, making recommendations on corrective actions, and enforcing ownership & accountability.
- Coordinating & preparing internal financial reporting (i.e. – weekly pulse checks, monthly performance presentations, etc.).
- Support plant management with basic training to retrieve cost data out of the system; moreover, providing support to corporate (Group Controller) with the annual standard cost development of plant rates (labor & overhead cost).
- Proactively interact with supervisors, plant management team as well as senior management to ensure all parties have a clear and accurate picture of the plant’s overall financial performance. An advisor/mentor on accounting/finance to plant leadership aiding the decision-making process.
- Support CI initiatives (participation in Kaizens & A3 problem solving events), ensuring projects are defined with clear financial objectives & results are tracked and reported accordingly.
- Co-manage along with the project manager the capital process & provide guidance/assistance preparing AR’s.
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement, and implementing new processes.
- Evaluate plant accounting & internal control systems (review of corporate policies, purchasing authorities, etc. to ensure alignment with SOX).
- Operational reporting & analysis (explanation of scrap, labor & overhead cost)
- Creation of forward-looking financial models and “what if” modeling capabilities…Review/Forecasting the trends, cost/benefit, margin impact (make vs. buy, etc.) enhancing the decision-making process.
- Accounting for Plant Research & Development costs.
- Hiring, Training and Retaining competent accounting & finance staff as required.
- Coordinating & supporting Internal & External auditors of plant accounts.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting preferred but not required
- 5+ years in the field of accounting and finance
- Must have previous experience within a manufacturing facility with a focus on cost accounting
- Solid verbal & written communication, analytical & leadership skills.